Saturday 12 February 2011

老佛爷驾到 (The arrival of Empress Dowager)

I always think of myself as pretty nimble footed and flexible. That was, until last week, when I had to navigate the steep lava-rocks down towards the Blue Nile Falls in Bahar Dar, Ethiopia. Blue Nile Falls ranks 3rd in the world as one of the grandest falls.

On the way down, a local boy, Tefra, probably seeing my shaky knees, handed me his walking stick - fashioned from a tree branch. Sturdy stick in hand, already I felt much better to negotiate the climb. After a few minutes, Tefra offered me his hand, which I gladly took.

For the next few hours (climb was downwards to the Fall, and then up again - back to the bus), I felt like Grand Old Empress Dowager Cixi. Shaky knees, breathlessness, and one big stick in hand, and a young man's hand on the other!

No comments:

Post a Comment