Tuesday 12 October 2010

Eat not at home

The I-Ching 易经 first made itself known to me some years ago, but no matter how hard I tried to read it for enlightenment, the words were spun so tightly together with references to dragons, forts, princes and sages that it might as well have been written in Aramaic*.


And recently, it once again re-surfaced in my life. Instead of reading it like a novel, this time I asked the book a question and the answer came back so stark and simple that the 5,000 years between us melted away. Gone were the convoluted references to flying dragons or heavenly mountains. At that point in life, I was dithering between an opportunity locally and one overseas. The I Ching simply stated "Not eating at home brings good fortune, it furthers one to cross the great water". I gaped in wonder at the clarity of advice, almost like an instruction barked out by a sergeant to a cadet. And a week later, I packed my bags to "try the food across those waters". 
So far so good. 


Besides the food on this side of the planet seemed to taste better than my homecooked instant noodles anyway!


* Aramaic - considered an endangered language. Cartoon:Hanging on the rack are roast goose, barbeque pork, roast pork, steam chicken, a typical Hong Kong "烧味  siu mei" fare. The cat (me) gives up eating fish (something familiar) to try the new (烧味). Nice.

2 comments:

  1. In response your comment on my blog, I used that cartoon for the background of my blog and the source is here

    http://bloggerblogbackgrounds.blogspot.com/


    just search in this blog what drawing you like best and used in your own blog, it's easy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you GM. I will take your advice. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete